Monday 15 September 2014

Niagara Falls


Yesterday I got to go to Niagara Falls with the Ryerson International Exchange Committee, which meant loads of international and exchange students basically took a massive day trip. First things first, our transport, oh my gosh, we took a YELLOW SCHOOL BUS!! Not to brag or anything, but I've now been on a yellow school bus....


Yes, I am the coolest kid I know..


Anyway, the Falls! So, in hindsight, I knew very little about Niagara Falls, for instance, it's not just one giant waterfall. I now know, after a bit of research, that Niagara Falls is the collective name for three waterfalls; Horeshoe Falls, American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls....interesting, eh? Well with this perfect image in my mind and limited knowledge, Niagara was not what I expected. Unfortunately, even though the weather wasn't bad, it was quite overcast, meaning the landscape looked quite grey rather than the beautiful blues I had imagined (as you'll be able to see from some of the photos below) and if I'm being honest, it wasn't as big as I had imaged, oops.




Jamie looking FINE
Told you, fashion statement
Pushing this aside for a little bit, I was excited to go on the 'Hornblower' which is the boat that goes right up to the falls. We got given some red waterproof macs that were a real fashion statement and were allowed to board.

Whilst trying to juggle, taking photos without getting my camera wet, getting my hood to stay up in the wind, and avoiding getting spray in my face, I can't say that I really saw much on the boat, it was fun don't get me wrong, and I would definitely do it again but....at least I have the photos to remember it, that's all I'll say! Another thing, I was told by people the sound would be incredible...it wasn't. It wasn't quiet but again, I'd probably hyped it up, thinking it was deafening.

On the boat we saw people in yellow and blue macs on the other side actually getting to walk down the rocks by the falls as you can see from the picture and when I next visit the Falls I now know exactly what I want to do, I want to see the falls from the top, and possibly walk down beside them, and also see it at night because apparently it is lit up in beautiful colors and sometimes there are fireworks too, which would be incredible! I would also like to explore the actual town a bit more; it reminds me of a theme park with all these cartoon buildings with 4D cinemas and arcades and we really didn't get much time to explore that unfortunately.

Looking back at the photos, it is beautiful and it was amazing, but I definitely think the views from a higher perspective really do it more justice, up close it is just white spray! Either way I had an amazing day and cannot wait to go again with all my new knowledge...



...Avoiding the people that take photos with their iPad though!! Ahem, Thomas!







No comments:

Post a Comment